The folders that contain Windows Update installation files are generally referred to as Software Distribution Folders. Microsoft has created these folders with the same properties as that of normal folders and users have the permission to delete these files using Windows explorer. Your PC will function properly with the absence of these files and new Software Distribution Folders will be automatically generated when your PC is ready for the latest Update. So if you are looking forward to save some place by deleting unwanted Software Distribution Folders, you needn’t always seek help from the Windows Tech Support team. Just follow these simple instructions to get your job done!
Instructions to set Folder Options:
- First you will have to unhide the system files in order to locate it.
- Navigate to Start button, right click on it and select Explore to open the explorer window.
- Move to the top tool bar and click on Tools option and select Folder Options from the drop down list.
- This will open up a new window and select View tab which will display a list of options.
- Now you will have to check the options that titles Display the content of system folders and uncheck the option titled Hide extensions for known file types.
- Finally click Okto save the changes made. Now you have tweaked the Folder options and set it such a way that your explorer displays hidden
files and folders.
Instructions to delete Software Distribution Folder:
- Use the search function to locate the Software Distribution folder within Windows Explorer. You can manually locate Software Distribution Folder by navigating to the path C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution using your Windows explorer.
- Open Software Distribution folder by double clicking on it to show all the contents.
- Use your mouse to select all the content by dragging over it. This action will highlight all the files you have selected.
- Now right click over the highlighted space and select Delete option from the list. You can also delete the files by clicking the Del button on your keyboard.
- Confirm your action by clicking Ok and now your Software Distribution files are now permanently deleted.
Certain virus infections can block you from deleting system files. Contact Windows Tech Support team to get such issues resolved. We hope this article has helped you, thank you for visiting and have a good day!